30 December 2010

My record holds

Submitting a manuscript makes a nice holiday treat to myself, not to mention my co-authors. It’s helpful to know that the very productive year I mentioned back in September isn’t coming to a grinding halt quite yet.

My record for peer-reviewed, original technical papers in a year – the bread and mutter for professional scientists – is three. I’ve managed it twice before. Once in 1997, which were all from my doctoral degree. And again in 2006, when I cleared off some manuscripts that had been lingering from a post-doc several years earlier.

This year, I was hoping to break that personal record. But I’ve ended up with three again. Sort of.

I’ve had several papers in press for some months now, and I kept hoping that one of those would make it into publication before the year end. And one did, just last week... except it has a 2011 publication date on it.

D’oh!

I just can’t bring myself to count for this calendar year.

And there’s only one other paper that could come out any second. But with less than two days to go, I’m not hopeful. (If it comes out in January and has a 2010 date on it, then I’ll feel vindicated and consider the record broken.)

Of course, I also had a post in the Scientific American Guest Blog, a letter in Science, and a selection in Open Lab 2009. And blog posts. Oh yes, I blogged. It certainly hasn’t been a bad year, writing wise.

So with one paper already in the can for 2011, two papers in press, a book chapter in press, and three manuscripts in the hands of editors being reviewed, let’s see what happens if I push this...


References

Faulkes Z. 2010. The spread of the parthenogenetic marbled crayfish, Marmorkrebs (Procambarus sp.), in the North American pet trade. Aquatic Invasions 5(4): 447-450.
http://dx.doi.org/10.3391/ai.2010.5.4.16

Puri S, Faulkes Z. 2010. Do decapods crustaceans have nociceptors for extreme pH? PLoS ONE 5(4): e10244. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0010244

Jimenez SA, Faulkes Z. 2010. Establishment and care of a laboratory colony of parthenogenetic marbled crayfish, Marmorkrebs. Invertebrate Rearing 1(1): 10-18.
http://inverts.info/content/establishment-and-care-laboratory-colony-parthenogenetic-marbled-crayfish-marmorkrebs

Jimenez SA, Faulkes Z. 2011. Can the parthenogenetic marbled crayfish Marmorkrebs compete with other crayfish species in fights? Journal of Ethology: 29(1): 115-120. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10164-010-0232-2

No comments: